Wood heating systems designed and supplied by

de la Haye Engineering Ltd

Non-domestic RHI

What is the non-domestic RHI?

The non-domestic or 'commercial' Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is part of a government funded programme which pays people to run renewable energy heating systems.

Who is it for?

There are a number of ways an installation could qualify for payments under the commercial RHI scheme:

  • If you are heating a registered business premises
  • If your boiler is supplying a commercial process requiring heat (e.g. Drying wood fuel or grain; kiln drying timber; etc.)
  • District heating schemes supplying more than one registered council tax payer (these schemes can be any size, as long as they include a minimum of 2 properties).

If you are supplying registered business premises or commercial processes, your domestic residence can also be included in the scheme. 

How does it work?

Your installation is metered, and you are paid a set tariff rate on the heat used by the properties / processes in your application.

There are 3 tariff structures to the RHI payments, based on boiler size: 

Small Biomass  Up to 200kW 
Medium Biomass  200-999kW 
Large Biomass  Over 1000kW (1mW) 

Within the small and medium biomass tariffs, there is also a 2-tier payment structure: 

Tier 1 is calculated as: Boiler rating (kw) x 1314 (15% of the hours in a year) x tariff

Once the tier 1 entitlement has been recorded on your heat meters, the lower tier 2 payments apply to any extra heat used.

Please be aware that tariffs are potentially subject to quarterly degression of up to 25% (the quarters are April 1st, July 1st, October 1st and January 1st). 

Are there any pre-requisites?

You must heat qualifying properties / processes as set out above (at least 2 separate domestic properties, or a registered business premise, or a commercial process requiring heat, or any combination of these)

Boilers under 45kw must be registered under the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) and installed by an MCS accredited installer.

Boilers over 45kw are outside the MCS accreditation scheme, but must be EN303-5 certified (or equivalent) and have approved RHI emissions certificates to qualify. 

Where can I get more information?

Ofgem’s non-domestic RHI information pages should answer any further questions you may have.

Alternatively, please contact us if you would like to discuss a biomass system for the commercial RHI.  

Veto, HS Tarm and Akvaterm Logos